Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Debate on the Debate

As I was watching the debate last night, I thought I was watching an odd scene. The moderator, Jim Lehrer, tried several times to get the candidates to talk to each other. Sen. Obama, would look at Sen. McCain each time he would say something while McCain would just stare straight ahead. McCain looked really rigid almost like he was upset or dare I say angry when Sen. Obama took him to task on Iraq or what led us to this sham war. To be quite honest, Sen. Obama hit it home at the debate when he listed off a litany of falsehoods that the Bush Administration and the Republicans which now includes Sen. McCain fed us on the lead up to this wag the dog distraction.

Even though he did hit this point home, I didn't feel Sen. Obama really took advantage of several points when it came to the economy. I wanted to hear what he would do for the middle class. I know that he's spoken about that countless of times but it would have been great to gauge Sen. McCain's reaction to that issue or those talking points. He did do just enough but really didn't hit anything home. I've already decided on who I was going to vote for in fact it wasn't even a hard decision but what I'm talking about is that these debates are designed for the undecideds that will actually elect the next president.

Last but not least, I really don't like watching the after debate "Spin Room" talk because it really doesn't do much but what was really striking for me was that Sen. Biden, Sen. Obama's VP choice was at the after debate spin and where was Gov. Palen? She was at a debate party. Sen. McCain's surrogate was Mayor Rudy Giuliani...not a good comparison there. I just hope she shows up on Thursday for the VP Debate

No comments: